Octaria worked with the friendly team at the Coalition on Homelessness San Francisco to build a custom Volunteer Management System to suit their needs.
This system had the following requirements:
- System had to be usable for people with limited computer skills
- UI/UX was developed with a minimalist and easy-to-use approach
- Separate admin privileges for tasks like deleting members
- Organize by sub-group and tag/labels
- Ability to email volunteers
- Keep track of members wishing to unsubscribe
We went with a straightforward and minimalist approach. The Main Menu has 2 buttons for standard users, and an additional 2 buttons that only show up for Admin users.
The add volunteer page uses Semantic UI as well as specific fields required.
Admins alone can add additional labels, and this is done through a modal:
Special fields include:
- Availability: many-to-many mapping
- Labels: many-to-many mapping
- Organization: one-to-many mapping
Looking up volunteers is handled on a search page. Volunteers can be selected in the following ways:
- Looking through the list
- Searching on names
- Filtering based on special fields
Once selected, users can be emailed individually.
A summary of the selected users is shown, and the reply-to, subject, and email body details can be entered.
Unsubscribe functionality is tracked automatically by appending a footer to the email body.